Lady of the Sea General Hospital
Standards of Behavior
As a member of the staff at Lady of the Sea Hospital, I choose to be both committed to and accountable for promoting the mission and vision of the organization, providing and ensuring high quality services within a caring environment, and exceeding the expectations of my customers, patients, and coworkers. I believe that our reputation is determined by our actions, so I will lead by example - doing the right thing, at the right time, for the right reasons, and will demonstrate the following behaviors:
I conduct myself professionally:
- Present myself at work with a positive, friendly attitude and treat everyone with dignity and respect, valuing differences in background, experience, culture, religion, and ethnicity.
- Care for my own health, well-being, and emotions so that I can better care for others.
- Make eye contact, smile, greet, and acknowledge every individual I meet or pass by.
- Be professional in my appearance and actions, adhering to dress code requirements and performing my job in a manner reflecting competency and caring.
- Promote confidence in LOSGH by speaking well of my coworkers, medical staff, and my organization, in the workplace and in the community.
- Refrain from loud talk and excessive noises - a quiet environment is important to heal, learn, and work.
- Proactively seek opportunities for continued learning as well as professional and personal growth.
I protect and respect privacy and confidentiality:
- Always knock before entering a patient room, exam room, or office.
- Exit the elevator to allow privacy for a patient being transported.
- Never discuss a patient’s personal information in public areas or with anyone who does not have a “need to know.”
- Keep written/electronic patient information out of the view of others.
I commit to my team members:
- Arrive at work on time, ready to give 100% effort toward fulfilling my job duties.
- Promote a nurturing, healing, and safe physical environment by removing clutter, ensuring cleanliness, and keeping equipment in working order. I will ensure my workspace is clean, stocked, and organized prior to leaving.
- Recognize and reward good works by fellow team members by sincerely thanking them and letting others know about their outstanding work performance.
- If I make a mistake, I will admit it, learn from it so I don’t repeat it, and move on.
- Help someone who needs it without being asked; and if I need help, I will not be afraid to ask for it.
- Recognize the importance of all departments, their contributions to my team, and the effect of my work performance on them.
- Mentor and support peers to promote autonomy, self-confidence, and competency.
- Work collaborately to create efficient and effective systems that improve outcomes.
I communicate effectively:
- Maintain eye contact when speaking and listening, at eye level when possible.
- Introduce myself to patients, families, visitors, & team members, addressing them in a calm, friendly, and appropriate voice.
- Speak in ways that are easily understood and show concern and interest, actively listen.
- Take the time to read hospital and clinic communications to stay informed of responsibilities, changes, and events.
- Avoid using communication devices or tools (cell phones, text, any social media) for personal reasons during work time.
I make those I serve my highest priority:
- Introduce myself, position, and purpose prior to any treatment, procedure, or service delivered.
- Always give patients my full attention avoiding personal conversations or actions in their presence or where they can be over heard.
- Keep my patients informed, explaining processes, and the length of time the process might take. I will update them regularly, and apologize for any delay in care or service.
- If I fail to meet a customer’s expectations, I will immediately acknowledge it, apologize for it, and act to resolve it.